Re: Location of modules with debug info

On 29/09/2009, at 00:54, Frank Ch. Eigler wrote:

So I guess stap is just trying to use the first one, without even looking for the second. Is there any way I can specify the location?

Hm, it seems as though the /usr/lib/debug copy is the original unstripped one, and snd.ko is simply stripped. In Fedora land, we're more used to separated debuginfo (so /usr/lib/debug/lib/modules/.../ ends up containing snd.ko.debug -- with only the .debug_* sections included).

The stripped file probably doesn't have a ".gnu_debuglink" section
(confirm with readelf -S), so elfutils doesn't know that it should
bother looking in /usr/lib/debug for an alternative version.
(Roland?)

Regardless, if the /usr/lib/debug/lib copy of the module.ko is indeed
complete (it has all the .text etc. sections), you could just
overwrite the stripped copies in /lib/modules, and all should work.

I replaced the stripped module with the non-stripped one, and indeed my probe then works. If there's no way of specifying the alternate path, I think I'll just overwrite all modules with the debug ones.

Thanks for the help!

--
Roberto Jung Drebes - Tokyo, Japan
<drebes@gmail.com>