Re: Troubles with debug info, using systemtap on debian.

Eugeniy Meshcheryakov <eugen@debian.org> writes:

> [...]
>> 3) The debian kernel's debuginfo does "objcopy --only-keep-
>> debug"...That seems like it shouldn't cause systemtap to blow up,
>> but it does. I guess that's a known bug? [...]
>> 5) Whose bug is it that systemtap doesn't look for
>> /usr/lib/debug/.../autofs4.ko, but only autofs4.ko.debug?
>> [...]

The issue here is that elfutils looks for .ko.debug files, if the
original .ko was stripped of debug data.  The fedora naming convention
communicates the fact that the separated .ko.debug files are not
.ko's, in that they lack executable .text/.data/etc. payload.

Some distributions don't strip the debug data the same way as fedora,
but instead preserve the original unstripped binaries under
/usr/lib/debug or similar.  In this case, since the original files are
complete, it makes sense not to rename them "anything.debug", but OTOH
then elfutils must break the tie between that copy and an identically
named stripped one.

I believe Roland is aware of the issue, but hasn't indicated
how/whether he plans to handle all the permutations.  I'm sure he'd
welcome concrete suggestions/patches.