Re: SystemTap Dissertation

On 03/15/2010 02:20 PM, swb6@aber.ac.uk wrote:
> Hi,
> Im an Undergraduate computer science student and have been very interested
> in the emergence of new kernel tracing technologies and I have based my
> dissertation on systemTap.
>
> The application i have designed allows a user to deploy system tap scripts
> to a number of hosts across a network, and retrieve and store results from
> each system, with scope for real time graphing of performance (so far only
> file system read writes).

Interesting.  I think there are a few other projects around real-time
graphing, including the stap grapher we have in the source tree.  It may
be helpful for you to compare ideas.

And please fell free to share your progress and the result with us!

> I would like to offer the user the ability to create there own scripts by
> offering a list of possible probe points that they can access.
>
> I have see that something similar is possible in D trace and can be be
> achieved via the command 'dtrace -l -P <provider>
> which will list all the probes available in that providers area e.g.
> syscall provider.
>
> Is anything like this available with systemTap, If I could provide a list
> of probe points for a user specified area of the kernel I could reduce the
> learning curve to anyone new to systemTap and kernel tuning/debugging
> (this includes myself)

Sure - you can use wildcards with the -l option to get lists, e.g.:

  stap -l 'syscall.*'
  stap -l 'kernel.function("sched*")'
  etc.

There is also -L which provides the same listing along with the
variables available at each point.

> Sorry to hijack this list with such a basic question

No problem, this is a perfectly valid question for the list.

Josh