Re: SystemTap Dissertation

On Mon, 2010-03-15 at 21:20 +0000, swb6@aber.ac.uk wrote:
> Hi,
> Im an Undergraduate computer science student and have been very interested
> in the emergence of new kernel tracing technologies and I have based my
> dissertation on systemTap.

Cool, I'm a grad student doing a course project trying to build a tool
around systemtap.

It's still very preliminary but my objective is to record and save a
series of realtime metrics on a particular host.

It will then display the metrics to the user through gnuplot. The idea
is to show "interesting" metrics as defined by any metric currently
outside it's 95% confidence interval.

The current state of the project is here

git@github.com:aluchko/SystemTap-Health-Monitor.git

It currently polls CPU usage every second and drops the results in an
sqlite database. The front end than graphs the results of whichever
process happens to have the id of 5 in the db (still very hardcoded!).

> The application i have designed allows a user to deploy system tap scripts
> to a number of hosts across a network, and retrieve and store results from
> each system, with scope for real time graphing of performance (so far only
> file system read writes).

Not sure if there's any opportunity for collaboration but you're free to
poke around for anything useful. I have a very simple systemtap
script/backend communication protocol described in the README and I do a
running calculation of variance in Metric.cxx.

-aaron