Re: Systemtap on the ARM processor....

naresh kamboju <naresh.kernel@gmail.com> writes:

> [...]
> For the cross compilation we could not use "make check" mechanism to
> test on ARM target boards. I could do only insertion of cross compiled
> .ko
>
> I think we should take initiative on this and modify the testsuite to
> compatible with cross compilation. Of course it may required more
> efforts in term of time.

It will be quite a bit of work.  Two separate approaches suggest
themselves, depending on whether 'make check' is to be executed on the
host side or the target.

For the host, we could support a --target=arm-elf configure option,
like any other cross-compiler tool, which could imply a default stap
-a/-p4/-B flags.  With a dejagnu-flavour board.exp file, one can
configure remote-staprun.  The testsuite would have to be adapted to
replace direct stap invocations with the dejagnu proc to
remote_load/run.

Alternately, from the target's point of view, a native build of just
systemtap-runtime (--disable-translator) and the client, and of course
a nearby running suitable stap-server, should result in an working
stap-client.  The testsuite already replaces 'stap' with 'stap-client'
through a $PATH-based hack for server tests.  It could perhaps do the
same for all tests, if --disable-translator was given.  Then a testsuite
"make check" run right on the ARM target would transparently become a
stap-client/server testsuite.