Re: Using the systemtap configure script on Ubuntu 9.04

On Mon, 2010-05-17 at 14:47 +0000, gkosteva@comcast.net wrote:
>     "In order to compile the tool and scripts, elfutils package shall be available on the host.
>     elfutils 0.143 package can be downloaded from following location [5]
>     No need to install elfutils on the host; only the untar'ed file is required."
>
>    so is elfutils required?  line 1 says yes, line 3 says no ???

You don't have to install it, systemtap can use the sources to build and
link against itself when configure is given the
--with-elfutils=/path/to/elfutils-sources option.

>  From my compile environment on the PC, I attempt to run ./configure to generate
>  the proper make files and get the following error message:

> [IMX BUILD]> cd systemtap-1.2/
> [IMX BUILD]> ./configure
> checking for a thread-safe mkdir -p... /bin/mkdir -p
> checking for gawk... no
> checking for mawk... mawk
> checking whether to enable maintainer-specific portions of Makefiles... no
> checking whether ln -s works... yes
> checking for gcc... arm-none-linux-gnueabi-gcc
> checking whether the C compiler works... configure: error: in `/home/gkosteva/SVN_trunk/embedded/celiav1/imx31/stage/systemtap-1.2':
> configure: error: cannot run C compiled programs.
> If you meant to cross compile, use `--host'.
> See `config.log' for more details.
> [IMX BUILD]>
>
> Any ideas how/why the configure script is not working?

Look in config.log for more details.
I assume you are trying to cross-compile and something in your toolchain
isn't setup correctly. config.log will tell you what.

It might be easier to build and run systemtap on the arm box directly.

Cheers,

Mark