Re: Hints for cross-compiling staprun?

Hi -

grant.b.edwards wrote:

> [...]
> I've hit a few glitches, but I'm making progress.  One issue is that
> the configure script refuses to check for the existence of files when
> cross-compiling.  [...]

Perhaps we're using the wrong configure.ac directive to test for them.

> [...]
> The other problem is that the sources use a number of non-standard
> APIs without checking to see if they are, in fact, supported by the
> build environment.  The ones that I tripped over are:
>
>    index,rindex   obsolete and not present in POSIX.1-2008.

OK, will fix.

>    __progname     doesn't seem to be part of any standard, and isn't
>                   present in any headers on any Linux system I've got.

(Where do we refer to that?)

>    wordexp        actually, I think this one is in POSIX.1-2008 -- it
>                   just wasn't enabled in my build of libc.
>
> It would result in a more graceful failure, if the configure script
> checked for those.

Well, we should be able to presume plain POSIX, but a few more tests
wouldn't hurt, I guess.

> [...]
> If the systemtap Makefile.in is going to use "install-sh -D",
> shouldn't it come with an install-sh that supports "-D"?

I guess on native linux boxes it was using /usr/bin/install, which
does understand -D.  We should be able to adapt that to some
combination of -d / -t or mkdir -p.  Will fix.