Re: Using abrt to automatically download and install debuginfo

On 08/09/2011 02:16 PM, Chris Meek wrote:
Hi all,

I recently added a feature (PR12773, commit e1e8b44e3293090f29262beb1b0762951b833e62)
to SystemTap that uses abrt to automatically download and install needed debuginfo. I will be
extending the functionality in the near future to include command line options to control the
use of the feature (such as whether or not to use it, or to set a timeout interval).

In my tests, I found that a small debuginfo file of around 0.2MB took only an average of
1.34 seconds to download and install, whereas a larger file of 76.5 MB took around 6.4
minutes to download and install. Of course these times are heavily dependant on the
internet connection, so they should only be taken as a rough ballpark estimate.

Example:

$ stap -e 'probe process("/bin/gzip").function("*") { log(pp()) }'

If the gzip debuginfo is not already installed, SystemTap will call
"abrt-action-install-debuginfo-to-abrt-cache" to first download and then install the "gzip.debug"
file into: "/var/cache/abrt-di/usr/lib/debug/" . SystemTap will then look in this directory to use the
debuginfo for the probe.

If you have any comments or suggestions, I'd like to hear them.

Cheers,
Chris
Hi all,

I am working on the command line option for this feature and I would be grateful for
your input. I will sketch out what I am thinking, and if you have any thoughts on how it
could be better, please let me know.

So by default the feature will be enabled, with a timeout of 30 seconds, and it will pass '-y' to abrt,
causing it to continue without user interaction.

The option "--download-debuginfo=" will have the following possible values:
no //to disable it
<###> //to change the timeout to the given value
ask //to not pass '-y' to abrt, so it will ask for user confirmation before downloading

It could also be set up so that if no value is given (i.e. just "--download-debuginfo") it would continue
without a timeout, or it could have a "no-timeout" explicit value.

Please let me know what you think.

Thanks,
Chris