Re: Met Problem on Enable SystemTap on Android

On 08/31/2011 02:05 AM, Turgis, Frederic wrote:
> Here are recommendations to make it work. OMAP wiki page assumes
> some knowledge of systemtap. I will by the way update the wiki with
> some of the remarks below:

Thanks Fred.

> - Josh: I will clarify -R/-I on the wiki. We did that because our IT
> forces use of /home/$USER folder, still 1 developer compiles the tool
> for many others. So tool is hard-coded to /home/developer1 while it
> is stored in /home/developer2. And we add a temporary
> LD_LIBRARY_PATH. We never really looked for cleaner solution to
> exchange binaries.

I see.  It makes more sense, if there's no common place you can install.

One problem with -I is that it *appends* to the normal tapset path.  So
if for some reason the default path happens to be accessible too, you'll
like get strange behavior from the duplication.  You can more properly
override it with the SYSTEMTAP_TAPSET environment.

-R should do the right thing, but there is also SYSTEMTAP_RUNTIME.

> Summary of what I do on my side:
> - desktop PC: get kernel code, configure right features and compile
> - desktop PC: compile the host and target tool. Copy target tool on target
> - desktop PC: edit my .stp then ./stap -a arm xxx.stp. Copy resulting .ko on target
> - target: ./staprun xxx.ko > yyy/zzz.txt (you can use -o yyy/zzz.txt also)

BTW, if you happen to have ssh listening on the target, then you may be
able to use "--remote $TARGET" to automate the copy and staprun.  I'm
considering adding a new remote scheme, perhaps "--remote adb:..." to
let you do this over the Android debugging channel too.

Josh