Re: Proposal for PR 13128

On 09/27/2011 02:22 PM, Josh Stone wrote:

re: group name for new privilege level

If we had this feature from the start, I might have said stapguru for unrestricted mode and stapdev for this non-guru mode. But at this point, I don't think we should alter the meaning of stapdev. Let's have a new group for the new restrictions.

I always thought stapdev existed for the use of systemtap developers in order to give them full powers without being root. Regardless, I agree that we should not change its meaning. How about the following hierarchy:

stapusr: user level probing, as currently implemented; requires signed module
stapsys: system level probing without guru mode (the new level proposed in the PR); requires signed module
stapguru: full capability probing; still requires a signed module
stapdev: full capability probing; can load any module
root: full capability probing; can load any module

We can omit stapguru if the consensus is that it is overkill. The conceptual difference between stapguru and stapdev is that stapguru says "we trust you to write systemtap scripts, but we still want to know that your module was compiled by a trusted systemtap implementation (i.e. we don't trust you to load *any* module). Given the power of guru mode, this distinction may not be useful.

All that aside, what do folks think about stapsys as the name of the new group?

Dave