MAXSTRINGLEN applied to printf()?

If I try to printf() more than MAXSTRINGLEN characters without outputting a newline, does that mean I'm exceeding the string length limit?  I.e., is just a normal string serving as the printf buffer, and all the normal rules about strings apply to it?  (I was trying to get around the string length limits by issuing multiple printf()'s, but that seems to be backfiring...)

Thanks,
Nick