Re: how to discover description of error which terminated run

Mark Wielaard wrote:

> > It has the look of hitting some resource limit but I can't be sure.
> > How can I get stap to tell me the description of the error which occurred?
> > (and also of course make it continue )
>
> It is strange there is no actualy ERROR reported.
> Maybe look at dmesg or /var/log/messages output to see if there is
> a hint there?
> If there was an actual error message, then the following page has
> a couple of hints how to get past some resource limit:
> http://sourceware.org/systemtap/wiki/TipExhaustedResourceErrors
>
> Cheers,
>
> Mark

Thanks Mark? -
your comments made me wonder if in fact there actually was some other error message
that was written much earlier? --?? and there was!???? It took some finding but after some
lengthy grep -v'ing I found this

ERROR: probe overhead exceeded threshold

And this is indeed described in the document you referenced.

What surprises me is that the run continued for a full 0.1 seconds (over 4000 lines
of output) after this message was logged before it shut itself down.
(And it was hard to find because many of my probes emit a line with words
such as error and failed in them).

Makes me wonder? -? is there some way of directing error messages such as this to
some other channel rather than interspersing them into the run output.?? Or else
at least making them more distinctive.

But thanks again? -? problem solved

John