Re: DRAFT 2.1 release notes

On 02/07/2013 11:47 PM, Timo Juhani Lindfors wrote:
> Josh Stone <jistone@redhat.com> writes:
>> Your results look very bad - even the first add.exp fails!  Can you also
>> share the full systemtap.log to see what happened there?
>
> Yeah sorry about that, I forgot to add setuid bit for staprun and
> thought make installcheck would use sudo automatically bit turns out it
> only uses it for some tests and not all. I reran the testsuite after
> adding setuid, the results are here:

You still have this bit in the log:

> ERROR: The effective user ID of staprun must be set to the root user.
>   Check permissions on staprun and ensure it is a setuid root program.

Just setting the setuid bit makes the process run as the owner of the
file, so it must also be owned by root to be able to load modules.

You can also run the entire installcheck as root, like Frank suggests,
but if you have staprun now as setuid non-root, it will effectively be
defeated by *dropping* permission.