problems with xc7.1.89

I finally downloaded and installed the snapshot xc7.1.89,
on a RedHat 4.1 Linux.  (I skipped 88, lazy me.)
I had quite a few problems:

To start with, ./configure did not find X (lib and include dirs).
I mimimally hacked Imakefiles (to fix GAMELIBDIR) and went with xmkmf.
I'll send Stan the patches Real Soon Now(TM).

gcc gives some warning, but nothing serious:
actions.c:1279: warning: static declaration for `give_away' follows non-static
tp.c:1913: warning: static declaration for `receive_action' follows non-static

makeinfo fails in the doc directory:
makeinfo -I . -o ./xconq.info  ./xconq.texi
Making info file `./xconq.info' from `./xconq.texi'.
./x11-dsect.texi:31: itemize requires an argument: the formatter for @item.
./x11-dsect.texi:60: itemize requires an argument: the formatter for @item.
./curses-dsect.texi:9: itemize requires an argument: the formatter for @item.
./refman.texi:161: itemize requires an argument: the formatter for @item.
./refman.texi:1487: itemize requires an argument: the formatter for @item.
./hacking.texi:44: itemize requires an argument: the formatter for @item.
etc etc etc...
./refman.texi:4218: `Notices and Narratives' has an Up field of \
`Naming and Text Generation', but `Naming and Text Generation' \
has no menu item for `Notices and Narratives'.
etc etc etc...
make: *** [xconq.info] Error 2

When I run xconq and especially xshowimf, I get lots of messages
Warning: c_number of non-number `nil' being taken, returning `nil' instead.

Now for the more serious stuff:

The panner no longer displays the world map; I guess this derives from
terrains no longer having a color.  I am lost (literally, I was using
the world map in the panner to get my bearings).  Stan, do you have
plans to fix this?  What was the motivation to remove terrain color
anyway?

Color white is still saved/restored incorrectly under X.  This should
be easy to fix.

Resources are again saved/restored incorrectly.  To check this, just
save a standard game with some infantry in plains, after it moved.
Restore and finish the turn: the infantry will have one food point
less.  I think that the problem is in kernel/init.c, where
init_unit_actorstate wipes out acp and actualmoves.  BTW, Stan, I
regard this as a *serious* bug.

Now for some good news: I started woking on galaxy.g,
as if we needed more games! ;-)

--
        Massimo Campostrini,
Istituto Nazionale di Fisica Nucleare, Sezione di Pisa.