Re: Client/server: out of sync

   Date: Mon, 2 Nov 1998 11:41:26 +0100 (MET)
   From: Jan Jona Javorsek <jan.javorsek@guest.arnes.si>

   How does Xconq do when the game gets out of sync? Is there any resyncing
   mechanism? Is one planned?

It just loses right now.  I haven't really thought about resyncing
much yet, up till now nobody has expressed much interest in the
networking support... Out-of-sync indicates bugs though, so it's
important to chase down any that occur.

   I think QuakeWorld has an interesting approach, making the master the
   ruler of all so that clients can be seamlessly (or not so) resynced when
   needed.

I think that could be made to work for Xconq - just do the equivalent
of a game save/restore from the master to the losing non-master
("slave" seems inaccurate :-) ).  The main casualty would be the state
of any client AIs, although it could be left to the AI code to decide
whether its own state becomes useless or not.