Re: Combat

   From: Sami P Perttu <perttu@cc.helsinki.fi>
   Date: Fri, 14 Aug 1998 16:54:42 +0300 (EET DST)

   I propose some new tables:

   Table: attack-material-effect u1 m -> n%
   Table: defend-material-effect u1 m -> n%

   Hit chance would be adjusted according to the amount of material
   available. If the unit doesn't possess material m, its combat
   capabilities are multiplied by n%. If the unit possesses the maximum
   amount of material m its combat capabilities are unchanged. A linear
   distribution in between.

   Now, concerted attacks and pressure from ground support and shore
   bombardment could be simulated with an abstract material type
   "pressure" (in want of a better name). A unit would lose "pressure" when
   hit by an enemy unit and its combat rating would deteriorate. The
   "pressure" would be renewed each turn (or not).

An interesting idea, but I suspect hard to make useful.  One of the
projects I'd like to do is to define "concerted attacks" as a distinct
type of action and add a notion of attack and defense strengths a la
boardgames.  These would be available as an alternative to hit-chance
& damage tables.  I think these would be easier to explain to players
than subtle effects derived from abstract materials.

   Table: attack-terrain-damage u1 t -> n%
   Table: defend-terrain-damage u2 t -> n%

   The effect of terrain on combat damage. Defaults to 100. In conjunction:

   Table: attack-material-damage u1 m -> n%
   Table: defend-material-damage u2 m -> n%

   The effect of materials on combat damage. Defaults to 100.

   I'd like to have the *-damage tables because they'd make it possible to
   have gradual, deterministic terrain effects instead of changes in
   probability.

These really want to be 3d or 4d tables... but for now 2d will have to do...
I'll add these, unless implementation reveals some fatal flaw.