Re: Proposed GDL additions

On Tue, 23 Jun 1998, Keir Novik wrote:

> To help with realism in a game I'm trying to design, I propose we add
> two new properties to the Xconq 7 GDL:
>
> Multi-part Units
> ----------------
>
> To quote the designers' manual:
>
> So I propose
>
> UnitTypeProperty: damage-damage-effect INTERPOLATION-LIST

I like the idea since it would allow for some interesting and different
approaches to game design. If regrouping is allowed (building a good
infantry unit out of two damaged units), things could really get
interesting, but at least a property that limits the maximum "size" of
unit should be added. (An over-powerful tank unit build from 5 standard
units would still be an interesting surprise.)

Neighboring idea: would in be interesting to have the option for the enemy
to only see one of each type of units in a cell he can see in? This way he
would see infantry, but not how much of it.

(Perhaps that would make the game too difficult to follow, though.)

Jan