X servers for Windows, or we could have a three-platform release... -s

Date: Tue, 31 Mar 1998 15:11:13 -0500
From: Raj Menon <rxmtemp@mcdata.com>

[...]

Here are the steps required to get a working Xconq on Win NT (and I
think it should work the same for Win95):

- - Install Cygwin32 19.1 from http://www.cygnus.com.
- - Get the source code for Cygwin32 (needed for config.[sub/guess]).
- - Install X11R6.3 libs from
http://dao.gsfc.nasa.gov/software/grads/win32/X11R6.3/
- - Install the XWin32 Server from http://www.starnet.com
- - Get the sorce distribution for Xconq.
- - copy the mh-cygwin32 file from the Cygwin32 distribution to
config/mh-cygwin32.
- - replace config.guess with the one from the Cygwin32 distribution.
- - replace config.sub with the one from the Cygwin32 distribution.
- - add "i[3456]86-*-cygwin*   host_makefile_frag=config/mh-cygwin32 ;;"
to config.host
- - add "|| defined(__CYGWIN32__)" for dirent.h and qsort in SelFile/Dir.c

- - add -lICE -lSM to XAW_LIB in x11/Makefile
- - add ".exe" to all executables (xconq, imf2x, x2imf, xshowimf)  for the
installation
  part in x11/Makefile
- - for the installation of the defaults, do the following instead:
    install -c Xconq.ad $(appdefaultsdir)/Xconq
    install -c Xshowimf.ad $(appdefaultsdir)/Xconq
- - add *.exe to "make clean"
- - ./configure --with-xpm
- - make all-xconq CC=gcc
- - make install-xconq appdefaultsdir=/usr/X11R6.3/lib/X11/app-defaults

Now xconq should work!  Note, for some reason, the X server does not
read the defaults for xconq (xconq, xconq-color, xshowimf,
xshowimp-color) from the app-defaults directory, so I just added them
to ~/.Xdefaults.  I have been looking through the sparce manuals for
the X server, but could not figure out how to have the server search
the correct path.

Hope this helps...

- -raj