Re: ww2-adv

   Date: Thu, 19 Mar 1998 22:20:26 +0000 (GMT)
   From: Keir Novik <ken21@cam.ac.uk>

   Is the ww2-adv game supposed to be in a finished state?  Because there are
   several things that seem seriously strange.  (I'm playing Italy in
   ww2-eur-42, but these are general comments.)

ww2-adv is not finished.  It's supposed to be relentlessly realistic,
but feature additions show up Xconq limitations that I have to go on
work on... 1/2 :-)

   Ground units
   ------------
    Ground units can receive supplies from places up to three hexes away.
   When out of oil, ground units can still attack but cannot move.  This
   means the mplayers tend to have immobile units, as each ground unit
   carries only one unit of oil.  Although armour get five acp/turn, they can
   only move one hex because they consume oil to move, while infantry move
   four hexes because they consume oil only at the end of the turn (and have
   four acp/turn).  Armor are also too easy to capture, making infantry much
   superior.

I introduced oil so as to make bases and supply lines more important, but
as you observe, other problems crop up.  The theory is that armor should
not be able to operate 300 miles in front of supply depots, which is what
would happen if armor had capacity for 5 oil.  What Xconq should do is be
able to do intra-turn resupply, so armor can race around if it's always
within a hex or two of some depot, but gets stalled if it gets too far
out in front.  This would work better if infantry could build depots.

   Ships
   -----
    Fleets are especially powerful, and can destroy ground units with
   impunity.  This feels wrong.

Actually, at the strategic level of this game, naval bombardment is
invisible - ground can always move 40 miles inland and still be in the
same hex.  So that should be disabled.  Bombardment of coastal cities
still seems reasonable though.

   Trust
   -----
    Why can a country I trust use my cities, while I can't if they trust me?
   Supply should be distributed as well.  (This applies to other games too.)

Hmmm, sounds like a bug to look into...