We need more GDL! (Was: Thoughts on the standard game)

It's nice to see that the xconq list is active again. :-)

Bruno Boettcher <bboett@yoda.u-strasbg.fr> writes:

> Then another point that was really irritating: i just was about to
> crush a computer opponent, deployed savantly (hopefully) my units,
> but that bastard surrendered, and all cities were gone just under my
> nose...... which gave my human opponent exactly the time to crush me
> :( is there a parameter to stop cities vanish?

Hi Bruno.

Yes, I hate this a lot.  A few times I went to the pain of saving and
editing the savefile to "resurrect" the cities which disappeared. ;-)
Long time ago, I discussed similar problems with Stan; but I think
that the matter just died.

We need a few parameters to implement a range of options when

* a side surrenders: each unit can surrender, turn neutral, disband,
  or be wrecked; we need GDL parameters to set the probability of each
  action for every unit type; occupants will be managed as in the
  following.

* a transport surrenders: occupants can surrender, flee, disband,
  or be wrecked; the probability of each action may depend on the
  transport and capturer types; a 3-D table is overkill IMHO; an
  occupant/transport table and an occupant/capturer table (to be
  added) should be enough

* a transport disbands or is wrecked: occupants can survive, disband,
  or be wrecked.

Did I miss something?

Some of these parameters are already there (implemented to various
degree); same will need to be added.  I could try to work out a
proposal.

--
        Massimo Campostrini