Re: A lame question (or, the little Pentium that couldn't)

   Date: Mon, 4 Jan 1999 23:06:43 -0500 (EST)
   From: dlawson@loudoun.com

   Thanks for the tips, I got tkconq working but have a question about the
   performance.  When I run xconq, it is at a minimum 10x faster than the
   tkconq interface.  When I say 10x faster I am NOT exagerating.  I'm
   wondering if my poor computer is too slow for this or not.  I have a
   dual 150 MHz Pentium Pro running Linux.  Any clues or am I hardware
   deficient :(

No, it's just that I'm still learning about writing tk widgets.  The
version you have does a full redraw of both maps everytime something
happens - including when the selected unit blinks(!).  It's
double-buffered, which is why you're not seeing any flashing.  When I
turned off double-buffering, the flashing was pretty spectacular!

Anyway, the current version of the code is now able to update
designated small regions of the window, and it goes much faster.  It's
not quite ready for primetime, there are a couple situations where the
incremental update leaves garbled screen, haven't chased those down
yet.  I'm leaving the double-buffering turned off to catch other
time-eating redraws...