Re: Unix/Win GUI re-evaluation

   From: Zachariah Baum <zack@studioarchetype.com>
   Date: Tue, 01 Jun 1999 10:55:09 -0700

   Have you looked at wxwindows:
     http://wesley.informatik.uni-freiburg.de/~wxxt
   They have a cross-platform GUI development library that uses Gtk (which is
     currently looking like one of the better X GUI libraries, IMHO).

The last time I looked at it - a couple years ago - it seemed like a rather
weak project.  Going by this new page, it's more plausible than it used to
be; I'll study it further, thanks.

   I think that since Xconq uses a lot of GUI elements, SDL wouldn't be well
     suited for it, which seems like it's more for sprite stuff.  I don't know
     much about GGI.

Although most Xconq interfaces are multi-window, things don't have to
be that way.  Consider that nearly all the fancy commercial games take
over the entire screen and manipulate it as a whole.  Although this
means that they have to do their own menus, dialogs, etc, it also
provides the opportunity to control mood and atmosphere (imagine Doom
with standard Windows scrollbars as the controls for looking around -
no thanks!).  I suspect many people would prefer a fast and smooth
one-screen Xconq, although Xconq's programmability means that the
screen design and display problems would be even harder than they are
now...