JavaOne and Graphic functionality

I just got back from JavaOne and because of the discussions on this group,
one of my interest-areas there was "can Java support real time strategy
type gaming".  Well, check out:
http://playlink.ugo.com/

All of the offerings on this site are done in 100% Java, including a
Command and Conquer clone.  The group that did the work also presented at
JavaOne.  One presentation in particular was "High Speed Animation in
Java".  They also presented a Birds of a Feather (BOF).

Another online gaming company presented "Massive distributed applications,
or how to keep 10,000 online gamers happy".  However, this group put a thin
veneer over OpenGL and used a lot of JNI for graphics.

Estimates are that there are currently 1.7 million Java developers.  They
even have a Java Quake group :-)