Re: User Interface Poll

As a mac user (mainly) I'm perhaps biased, but I think the mac interface
with separate preferences and view settings works just fine. There are
certain view settings, such as the magnification, that you change a lot during
a game, but you wouldn't like to change your default startup conditions every
time you are zooming in or out.

The main point of the preferences is to make it easier to launch the game.
I hate
it when I have to change lots of settings every time I launch an app in
order to get
things the way I really want it, so I have added a number of options to the
mac
preferences which were not initially there. Again, you wouldn't like your
startup
conditions to change just because you are tinkering with the view settings. For
example, it might be preferrable in one specific game with dark background
(space) to turn on the text masks, but that doesn't mean I want the next game
I launch to automatically use text masks.

As for letting the new preferences take effect, all you need to do on the
mac is
to close the map window and open a new one. I usually do that if I want the new
preferences to take effect. Sometimes, I prefer that they don't for excatly
those
reasons already discussed. Of course, this is not an option in the tcltk
version,
at least not until it supports multiple map windows.

Anyway, I think separate preferences and view settings is better simply because
it gives the user maximum freedom to configure things the way he wants it. One
could always add a Windows type "Apply" button to the tcltk prefs dialog in
order
to make the changes take immediate effect.

Hans

Hans Ronne

hronne@2.sbbs.se