Re: xconq on x86

   Date: Wed, 8 Sep 1999 09:24:03 +0200
   From: Bruno Boettcher <bboett@erm1.u-strasbg.fr>

   > Heh, that's the first time anybody has wanted to make the Xconq AI
   > *easier*... maybe that means it's getting better after all!
   hmmm last time i played i ntoiced again the ai building carriers with nothing
   inside.... quite strange beeing attacked by carriers with no occupants :D
   BTW using submarines isn't very useful (at least last time i played in
   standard), because they are quite immediately discovered.... shouldn't it be
   better if they were discovered only when trying to attack or in general with a
   smaller chance?

They are *supposed* to have only a 10% chance of being seen in the
standard game.  I'm pretty sure I tested it with a two-player game and
verified the odds work out right.  Note that if an airplane flies by
it gets several chances to spot as it moves from cell to cell, and if
the sub moves there are also several chances.

   > Heh-heh.  There is a textual notice at the top, but it often scrolls
   > by unnoticed.  The intro game needs real flags too, the numbers are
   > lame-o fallbacks.  And yes, I would like to do sounds, unfortunately I
   > don't know very much about making sounds in Windows apps - does
   > anybody know of some good sample code to look at?
   hmmm i would prefer more and better animations :D sounds could be dnagerous at
   workplace ;D

Heh - I have been thinking about animations a bit.  Hey, if CivCTP can
use 400M of disk for pretty pictures, surely Xconq can be allowed to use
more then 1M...

   > Thanks for the feedback!  I'm busy with a rewrite of the networking
   > code for Unix/Windows and making good progress, soon I shall be able
   > to take over your country personally...
   ah perfect!

This morning I got the multiplayer chat window working - three players
can all type away simultaneously and see each other doing so.  Next step
is to allow the players to step through the setup screens, poking at
all the buttons simultaneously until all are satisfied....