Re: Snap '92 under Suse Linux

   Date: Sat, 11 Sep 1999 16:08:54 +0200
   From: Marcus Schrattenholzer <1schratt@informatik.uni-hamburg.de>

   >    Suse allows for two different versions of tcl/tk in parallel. These
   >    are packaged in
   >      tcl-7.6p2-37, tcl_new-8.0.5-12,
   >      tk-4.2p2-35, tk_new-8.0.5-12.
   >    The older version is the default, and that's the one which xconq
   >    configure finds (and which doesn't work).
   >
   > Bleah, who did that?  Cygnus' Suse installation doesn't have anything
   > unusual about it.  As you can see, whoever made the change changed
   > only the lib names, not the associated dirs and files, so the change
   > wasn't even useful...

   I dont't know exactly what you mean. New and old are in different
   packages, have different configuration files (/usr/lib/tclConfig8.0.sh
   vs. /usr/lib/tclConfig.sh) different library files etc., therefore the
   purpose of being able to use them in parallel is served. Yet, I do not
   know who should want this. Anyway, that's the way it is, at least in the
   German Suse 6.2 (the current) release.

Autoconf machinery can deal with tcl vs tcl8.0, but a library called
tcl_new is too hard for it to deal with.  If this is new to Suse 6.2,
then a lot of tcl-using packages will be affected also.  A message to
comp.lang.tcl might be a good idea.