Re: Internationalization

Hi folks!  I am still lurking here...

Bruno Boettcher <bboett@erm1.u-strasbg.fr> writes:

> > I follow along with FreeCiv development (keeping an eye out for ideas
> > to steal, heh-heh), and noticed lately quite a bit of activity to

Why not, I stole *code* from xconq for FreeCiv (the default city
list); fortunately, both games are GPL'd.

> > localize for various languages.  Xconq has some capability for
> > localization - for instance, most text generation is in nlang.c and
> > help.c, and things could be set up to build for different languages.
> yeah great idea, and not too hard to impleemnt in fact i think.

I had some thoughts on internationalization of xconq long ago.  Text
generation needs a bit of machinery: e.g. most European languages
require adjectives to match nouns in gender and number (and case),
verbs are generally a mess etc.  FreeCiv has basically no text
generation, and translation of fixed phrases is so much easier.

> > However, I only know English, some German, and a tiny bit of French,
> i do know french, german, spoken italian (but Massimo could help here i think
> ;) i could even provide some basics in farsi....

Then there is the problem of charsets, which FreeCiv didn't address
yet (I think); iso-latin-1 covers pretty much of western Europe, but
Farsi, Russian, Japanese...

BTW, Bruno, how's with the story of Senator Pierre Laffitte who
whishes to force the French public administration to use free software
(liberte', egalite', fraternite' et logiciels libres)?  Is he serious?
Has he got any chances?

Ciao
	Massimo