Re: GDL (was Re: Mailing List Split)

Stan Shebs wrote:
> Andrae Muys wrote:
> > To represent this I wanted a focus on `cohesion' rather then numerical
> > strength.  Combat, Manuvere, Formation Changes, and the presense of enemy
> > units nearby (especially cavary/guards) ie. ZOC's, would all attrit
> > `cohesion'.  Time, Leaders, and the presense of friendly units nearby
> > (especially cavarly/guards) would all increase the `cohesion'.
>
> I can see two different ways to look at this.  One is to treat cohesion is a
> type of material, and work out tables for it.  Another is to say that hit points
> represent cohesion directly - a unit with 0 hp represents a combination of
> dead, prisoners, and foot-powered early retirement :-).  You can, for instance,
> make a unit with low hp recover it by resting.  Similarly, you can have stack
> protection effects, and you can cripple a damaged unit.  So you can probably
> get most of the right behavior with hp alone, while doing it with a cohesion
> material will probably require some additions to the engine (which may be
> worthwhile anyway).

Is there provision in GDL for changing units hit chances based on their
hp
(something like the way damaged units can be set to move more slowly)?
Or
alternatively, when a unit is "destroyed" can it be automatically
changed
into another kind of unit? Then one could have units like "infantry",
"damaged infantry", "disorganized rabble". I guess the Tokyo scenario
already shows that this can be done, in principle. Turning the
"disorganized
rabble" back into a real unit could be done by building. Can leaders be
made
to assist this process somehow?