Re: Bug fixes + new game

Hans Ronne wrote:

> The Ancient Near East game is now more or less done, so I have added it to
> the New Game menu. The base module is now called "Advances through History"
> and corresponds to the old "ane.g" module (small randomized world with four
> sides). In addition, there is a new module "Ancient Near East" which uses
> the "advances" base module together with a map of the real Near East, c:a
> 1500 BC. No Aztecs allowed in that game :-)

An awesome map!  Looks like we need some more imagery though, the mix of solid
colors and multi-color images is a bit garish.  I notice a ref to advt44x48.gif
in one of the new files, are you working on something?

I'll add a news item for your game too, it's certainly worth advertising!

> Be aware that the "Ancient Near East" is a gigantic game that will test
> your hardware to the limit. Under MacOS, you must give Xconq at least 16 MB
> (24 recommended). It runs reasonably fast on a G3 provided that you use the
> "World Seen" option. If you run it in the dark, things really slow down,
> and it also needs twice as much memory. Under Linux, the main problem is
> the slow responsiveness. I think this is a general problem with the tcltk
> interface that becomes more evident under heavy stress.

I'm seeing some redrawing of the world map that doesn't seem necessary.  But
yes, this is a good stress test... :-)

While on my trip (hey, can't be sightseeing all the time!), I worked out most
of the detailed design for switching to using more objects to record view
data, which will reduce memory appetite for not-see-all games, plus fix a
number of oddball viewing cases.  Post-7.3 though, the change will be somewhat
disruptive.