Re: Xconq view objects

Jim Kingdon wrote:

> > So for instance if you're looking at a stack of enemies, then move
> > away so you're no longer directly viewing the cell, the stack gets
> > replaced by a single image, more-or-less randomly chosen.
>
> Yes!  I've certainly noticed that problem.  If memory serves the same
> thing happens if you find a submarine and then scroll away and back
> (when scrolling back you just see sea but the view of the submarine
> should last at least to the end of the turn).

Yeah, Keir mentioned that one too...  I'm almost to the point where
I can test that with the new code.

> Another thing which may or may not be related to your re-do of the
> view code is that last known positions tend to accumulate.  My idea
> for a fix was to record the turn number in which the last known
> position was created, and then display it somehow (I guess when you
> mouse-over the unit, where it now displays "Iraqi battleship" or what
> have you).

The machinery to record the dates is all present internally (look for
side->unit_view_date refs).  I don't remember why it's never displayed,
it may not have seemed very useful, and without the ability to handle
a stack of objects, you could end up with some confused values.  It
also had save/restore problems, and so I commented it out last year.

View objects will make it more plausible to revive this, since each
image can have its own date.  Also, there are vestiges of an old 5.x
hack to keep a history of images, so you can see what had been overwritten
by the latest image.  View objects could support this better as well.