Re: my two cents on networked games

Jan Jona Javorsek writes:

> over a 28800 modem and Xconq can't handle the same connection, that
> means something is wrong with Xconq.

What is wrong is too many network turnarounds, if memory serves.

Of course, it is one of those "patches are being accepted" things.  I
kind of suspect there is a whole range of fixes from easy to hard
(easy example: remove debugging packets).  If you want to work on it,
I'm sure we can help....

I think I like the design feature that you need to have an up to date
vision of the world before you can proceed.  In fact, I even was
pondering elaborate user interfaces for queueing up orders that don't
get executed until later, precisely to preserve the consistency of the
game.  (of course for consistency you really need to enable the
sequential option, which is part of what got me thinking that way).

I also shouldn't overstate the current problem.  In the current state,
the xconq protocol was playable from the East to West coast (I was on
384k sDSL, not sure what Stan was on).  Room for improvement, but not
hopeless.  I can always make excuses about how DSL and cable modems
are becoming more and more popular :-).