Re: Networking progress!

Hans Ronne wrote:

> Great news! Now that the network game works on tcltk, what do you think
> about the mac interface? Would it take a lot to get it to work there, too?

By now, probably so.  The Mac is where I prototyped the networking code
believe it or not, and I used a lame-o design to set up games, where
other players can't connect until game setup is nearly done (the "Remote"
button on player setup).  All that design had to be redone to get the
Unix version to work, and the Mac version would have to be redone
similarly.

For transport I never got anything but serial to work - the
AppleTalk code in kernel/mac.c isn't even close to working, and TCP
didn't work at all on the Q800 I was using at the time.

On the positive side, I've moved more of the networked game setup
code into the kernel, so a Mac version will be simpler to get going.
Also, Apple's networking story is much better than it used to be,
and there is probably better example code to start from.  Xconq
doesn't need any more protocol fanciness than you'd find in a chat
program, so sources to an Internet chat client would a good place
to start from.