Re: Freeciv vs. Xconq

Hans Ronne wrote:

> The point I'm trying to make is that Civ2 (or Freeciv) is a game. Xconq is
> not. It's a tool or a platform for writing entirely new games.

Freeciv actually aspires to be a game platform.  It has about a
half-dozen or so rulesets right now, and there's work underway to
extend to SMAC and other Civ-like games.  That's one of the reasons
it's very interesting to me; while Xconq is fairly criticized as
trying to be *too* general everywhere, Freeciv is edging into
generality piecemeal.  It remains to be seen whether Freeciv will
hit a complexity wall before it achieves its goal of supporting
the gamut of Civ-like games.