Re: AI in Old Empire

"Eric R. Smith" wrote:

> I just tried a game of "Old Empire" with a very recent CVS checkout of
> xconq.
> The AI just sat there -- it didn't try to conquer any cities (even
> though
> there were some empty independent ones next to its starting position)
> and seemed not to build any exploration units -- no ships or planes.

Just tried it myself, it's pretty comical.  I just set my own side
to be played by the mplayer and watched the armies quiver between
"hitting" and "capturing" while not doing either.  After a couple
hundred turns the city built some ships and did a creditable job
of exploring, while at the same time - you guessed it! - the armies
continued to quiver.  Eventually one of them captured a city,
presumably by accident, and so we now two cities building armies,
all of whom - you guessed it again! - continued to quiver.

An interesting bug, probably not too hard to fix...