Re: SDL interface checked in

Hans Ronne wrote:

> >I'm also sketching interface layout ideas.  Since one doesn't get
> >multiple windows, all the dialogs and panes have to be integrated
> >into the single screen.
>
> This looks very promising for being a prototype version! I am a little
> concerned about this single screen stuff, though. Surely there must be a
> way around it?

Multiple screens are supposed to be in the works for SDL 1.2 or 2.0,
I forget which.  I'm allowing for multiple maps in the code.

> The best thing about the mac interface, as compared to
> tcltk, is that you only get what you want on the screen (which is usuallly
> a full-screen map for me, with a small floating world map in one corner and
> a notice window in the other). Everything else is brought up only when I
> need it.
>
> Is it possible to handle dialogs, lists etc. in the same way in SDL, within
> that single window? Come up at a click, and go away at another click? This
> would be vastly superior to the static panes we are stuck with in tcltk.

I've been sketching out a sort of multi-drawer/slideout panel
arrangment for things like unit info, world map, etc.  Dialogs
could either slide out or pop up in the middle, with translucency
as an option.  Some things, like help, will probably have to
replace the whole screen.