Re: SDL interface reorg checked in

>The code is still in its early stages, doesn't have all the flexibility
>that we've talked about, there are still no popups, and it hasn't yet
>been tested on Macs, so it's probably broken there (sorry Hans).

Nice work. And everything works fine on the Mac. The Linux X11 fullscreen
mode is broken, though. Fullscreen DGA and windowed X11 both work fine.
Haven't tested fullscreen X11 for a while, so this problem may be unrelated
to your latest checkin.

I still see a very poor performance under Linux, as compared to MacOS, even
when using the DGA driver. It's not just that scrolling is miserably slow,
the whole game is much slower. I just clocked the lord-rings game on
automatic. Under Linux, each turn takes 50 seconds to complete, on the Mac
only 2 seconds. Unit movement on the Mac is in fact so fast it is difficult
to follow. Much faster than in XconqPPC.

The Linux game seems to spend long periods when nothing is drawn to the
screen. This makes me wonder if the slowdown is just due to slow graphics.
Maybe something else is eating cycles in the Unix version?

Hans

Hans Ronne

hronne@pp.sbbs.se