Re: General concepts questions

>Hi again,
>
>I'm a Civ player. Have been for a while so my only wargames experience harks
>back to Civ (I & II mainly).
>
>I'm playing a Tolkien game (don't remember which one) and I'm wondering what I
>can do with settleres and mines. In Civ, you build mines close to cities and
>your population automatically mines them to get whatever ressources are
>needed. Settlers can do a whole bunch of things (build cities, irrigate soil,
>build mines, repair stuff, etc.).
>
>Even after reading the help menus on the various units, I'm not quite sure
>what I can do with settlers and other "non-agressive" units such as spies (I'm
>playing against the AI). The docs are pretty high-level so they don't provide
>the kind of detail I'm looking for. Where can I find this info, other than
>bugging the list every time I bump against similar issues?

Settlers can do just one thing: build new cities. There is no support for
mining, road construction, irrigation etc. simply because the necessary
kernel code has not been written yet.

This is how things work in both Advances Through History and the Tolkien
base module (3rd-age.g). There are no settlers at all in the Lord of the
Rings game since it is supposed to reflect what is going on during a single
year. It seemed silly have new cities with strange names poping up all over
Middle Earth :-).

Some other units are even less useful since they don't do anything. One
example are the corvees and caravans in advances.g. You will find that the
AI only builds them if you are playing with a non-visible world, where they
at least can be used for exploration. My intention was that these units
should do useful things eventually, when the necessary kernel code is in
place. Another example of useless units are most city improvements and all
wonders in the CivII game. Again, the kernel code remains to be written.

So to sum it up, there is plenty of room for improvements for those who
wish to contribute, both in the kernel code and in individual games.

Hans

Hans Ronne

hronne@pp.sbbs.se