Re: General design questions

On  8 May, Hans Ronne wrote:
>>- Science: the number of turns needed to do research is constant. I'd like to
>>  have it grow as time goes by.
>
> No support for that yet in the kernel. What you can do, however, is to set
> the number of rps individually for each advance: 10 for 1st generation
> advances, 20 for second generation and so on. Not quite the same thing, but
> research will get harder with time.

That's an idea.

>>- Government: Goverment tyupes affect the way a lot of things work.
>
> That would require a lot of new kernel code.

And it would be game-specific. I don't know if that's frowned upon or not.
How generic is kernel code supposed to be?

>>- There's also happiness, but I haven't quite thought out what to do with
>>  that. I'll probably make it another material type. If a game implements
>>  something similar to happiness, pleaselet me know.
>
> There is some support for probabilites that units will revolt in GDL. Not
> sure about the details, since I never used it in one of my games. Making
> happiness (or rather luxuries) a material would be the way to go. Actually,
> this material type already exists in civ2.g, but is not used for anything.
> My guess is that it would not be to hard to code the luxury level into the
> probability for revolts. You would still have to hack the kernel, but it
> should be simple compared to adding support for government types.

Well, happiness and luxuries, in Civ II, are two different things. Luxuries
contribute to happiness. There's also an issue that happiness is relative to
a city. Actually, a lot of aspects of the game are city-based. For example,
you need enough money in your treasury to support all the improvements in
your cities. If you don't have enough, one of the improvements in the cities
that don't have enough money will disappear. I think support for units may
be similar, I'm not sure. I'd have to read the details.

There may be way too much to add to the kernel that would be unusable in
other games.

Laurent Duperval <mailto:lduperval@microcelli5.com>

Qu'est-ce que je cause bien tout de même!
                                          -Léonard le génie