Re: Exploration patch

>Well, how about the enclosed which just turns off
>see-terrain-if-captured?  That avoids the patchwork effect (or most of
>it, anyway - because hexes revealed by see-others-if-captured are more
>likely to be contiguous than random hexes).  The enclosed patch has a
>comment with some of your ideas for the time when someone has more
>time to work more on this.

Seems OK to me.

>Actually, I was just worried about how it affects human players
>(i.e. myself).  I didn't notice an effect on the AI but I'm not sure
>how I'd look for one (can't just set "see all" because that changes
>the AI's behavior).

If you run non-see-all games with several AIs against each other, you can
see that they stop exploration too early, when only one or two enemy sides
have been contacted. I thought this was what you meant when you wrote that
exploration in the standard game ends around turn 40 or 60 or something.

>If there is an easy way to see the AI's behavior
>(preferably in full side_sees_unit detail) without changing it, that
>would be useful for other things too.

The best way to study the AI behaviour is to run all sides including your
own under full AI control. If you use the Mac interface you can bring up
small floating windows for all units of interest that continously show
their changing plans and task queues. Very useful for AI debugging.

Hans

Hans Ronne

hronne@pp.sbbs.se