error in saved game

I saved a came and when I try to re-load it, I get the following message:
Fatal Setup Error: Id 7 already in use by s1 f 7 (-1,-1)  Something is
seriously wrong, either with Xconq or with the came that you chose.

I'm running Windows version 7.2.96 (Mar 2000).

I've saved and re-loaded this game many times previously and (while I had
gotten other minor error messages before) it had always loaded fine.  Any
hints on where to look to fix the save.xcq file?  (I'd just started doing
better against overwhelming odds and I wanted to teach the computer a lesson
:)