Re: THE problem with xconq (long)

At 09:37 PM 2/4/2002 +0100, Hans Ronne wrote:
>Anybody who ever ran a java app on
>the Mac knows what I'm talking about. Clunky, slow and prone to crashes. I
>would say that if plain C is a Model T then java is perhaps a 1955 DeSoto.

So much for Steve Job's promise at JavaOne to make the Mac thee premier
Java platform :-{

At 10:15 PM 2/4/2002 -0500, Ed Roskos wrote:

>Java has a little ways to go, IMHO, for serious gaming.  I played with
>Java a bit for tile-based games.  Slow, real real slow.  The display is
>klunky.  The computations are slow.  And memory is sucked down hard.

When this was discussed two years ago, I sent Stan a couple of links to a
commercial game site where there were numerous styles of games, including
RTS, all written in Java.  Unfortunately, their business model went the way
of the dot com crash and my latest check of ugo's web site doesn't show any
of the games online anymore.

However, the reason I haven't done the port myself is, frankly, I don't
have the UI background necessary ... So obviously, I'm in no position to
dispute the assessments of those who do.

Also, on Stan and Hans' comments about motivation.  There is real merit to
those comments.  For thirty-five bucks, I can pick up Starcraft, Lord's of
the Realm or Age of Empire and they are light years ahead of any Freeware
or Open Source project.  Maybe it's age.  Lately, I'd rather spend the money.

-- A. Rick

BTW: congrats to Stan on getting back with Apple.  I was wondering where
you ended up after the Red-hat buy-out.