Re: How to fix the xconq network code

On Fri, 8 Feb 2002, Hans Ronne wrote:

> Already today, xconq has the ability to run all kernel code (in fact all
> code whatsoever) on one computer in a network game.  This is exactly how
> the X11 interface (xtconq) that Jim just resurrected works.  Only one
> program is executing (on the host).  The clients are just dumb
> X-terminals.  Network games using xtconq can run for more than 100 turns
> without any problems.  This also tells us that bandwidth should not be a
> problem, since all the graphics data is transmitted in that case.  A
> traditional server-client setup would only transmit game data but still
> handle the graphics locally.  This would use far less bandwidth than
> xtconq does.

In xtconq we have a working network server, but it has two problems: (i)
it uses the X11 display protocol which is not common outside of the unix
world, and (ii) it transfers a lot of data.

What if we use a display protocol that is more portable and efficient than
X11?

I have had very good experience with a free (GPL) remote display system
called Virtual Network Computing (http://www.uk.research.att.com/vnc/).
The display protocol is well documented and efficient.  Clients
("viewers") are available for practically every architecture; you can even
connect using a Java-capable web browser.  All VNC information is kept on
the server, so if you lose your network connection you just reconnect with
a new viewer and continue where you left off.

Without any changes we can now run xtconq on a unix machine, creating
players on virtual X11 displays created by VNC.  Other people (knowing the
host machine, TCP port, and password) on machines of any architecture can
connect to this game; all they need is a VNC viewer or Java-capable web
browser.

 - KN