Re: Fixed: remaining problems in the xconq network code

>> However, perhaps a less sophisticated approach, where people who want
>> to start a game can post their host ip and proposed time of game
>> launch to a simple web-based discussion forum, could do for now. Is
>> there anybody with experience in this field who would like to give it
>> a try?
>
>Maybe with a robot which probes the given host ip to see whether there
>really is an xconq host running there?
>
>Without that kind of aid, I suppose it *might* work, but it would seem
>to be a lot of manual work to keep it running.

I dont think we are talking about the same thing. What I had in mind was
just a simple message board. If you want to play a network game, you post a
message in the morning:

I will host a game on 231.45.81.92 at 2100 GMT later today. Anybody wants
to join?

Two people answer that they will show up. When they connect, you use the
chat dialog to discuss what game to play. Maybe a third person who just
checked the message board also joins at that time. No need for robots,
scripts or any other fancy stuff.

This could of course also be handled by the mailing list, but it would
generate a lot of unnecessary traffic. A message board that you can check
any time you want to play a game is much better. If somebody who has some
experience with this would take the time to put up an xconq message board,
I think it would really help to boost xconq network play.

Hans

Hans Ronne

hronne@pp.sbbs.se