Re: Converting xconq to C++

Hi Hans and everyone,

Here's my immediate plan. My highest priority is getting new paid
employment, failing that refreshing and broadening my technical abilities
comes next.

I will do an initial study over the next day or two to see what is the least
necessary set of changes which would make xconq compile and run as a Linux
C++ application under x11 and tcl/tk, both of which I know I have, sdl
should be feasible also - I can't do Windows or Mac development I'm afraid -
though I could make the changes available for some other brave soul to try.

I believe the least necessary change is to make main() be a C++ main() and
to declare any C functions it calls specially. If this can be done then it
is supposedly straightforward to declare C++ functions as C callable and
vice versa so long as you avoid wierd (to C) return types and exceptions -
neither of which is, by definition,  a problem.

If I get this far and get it running then I shall report back and attempt
the next stage which is to objectise something nice, simple and self
contained (kernel/world.[ch] perhaps). This will give me a feel for the
difficulty of incremental conversion. I can then report back with a go/no go
as to whether I feel the translation is feasible for me.

It is of course always possible that I could get a job in which case this
gets relegated to spare time activity, if this happens you can groan but be
happy for me.

Hans, could you advise me offline how I check out a new development branch,
I haven't yet tried just checking it out as writeable. Erik, any war stories
or experiences from the FreeCiv translation would be helpful. I don't
suppose there are any test cases/data?

I did have some ideas about intelligent A to B path determination but the
complexity of the code put me off trying to implement anything, perhaps
familiarity acquired from converting it to C++ will fix that particular
block.

Ed