Re: ...and the AI's decision-process around resignation

On Sun, 2002-06-09 at 11:21, Jim Kingdon wrote:
> I believe that point value only affects resignation, not building or
> other play.  So maybe cut the point values which are more than 10 and
> increase the ones of the units which can build cities.  The choices in
> the standard game aren't so great (if I had time to futz with it, I'd
> try cutting cities to 5 like towns or maybe 7; I might also put
> battleships and carriers down to 0 like the other ships but I don't
> think that one would matter as much).

As I continue to examine the AI's behavior, I'm no longer sure that
point values are affecting the AI's game play (short of resignation).  I
think that the AI instead needs to colonize more quickly.

In this game, exploration usually is not an issue like in most Civ-style
games because the world is already known at the start of the game.  So
the AI should immediately be able to find a nearby spot to build its
first city.

> What to build is controlled more by things like u_offensive_worth (see
> offensive_worth in ai.c) and the others.

Looking at that code, I see that there is a rather complex process used
to determine the value of units.  However, I can't figure out where it
makes decisions about resignation.  I can see the functions in ai.c
where it actually performs the resignation, but I can't figure out where
it's called from.