Re: Problems and solutions for building Xconq

On  3 Jul, Erik Sigra wrote:
> It is linux-2.3.17. I didn't know what the difference between tcl8.3 and
> tcl8.3g is. Now I suspect that the library gets "g" appended to its name when
> compiled with symbols. I have never seen that naming convention anywhere
> else. Can anyone confirm this? Has has anyone else tried to link to a tcl
> with symbols?

Yes, g indicates the presence of symbols.

> Should xconq try to support it? I think it would be nice.

>From the tclConfig.sh file distributed with later versions of Tcl:

# If TCL was built with debugging symbols, generated libraries contain
# this string at the end of the library name (before the extension).
TCL_DBGX=

# Default flags used in an optimized and debuggable build, respectively.
TCL_CFLAGS_DEBUG='-g'
TCL_CFLAGS_OPTIMIZE='-O -D__NO_STRING_INLINES -D__NO_MATH_INLINES'

# Default linker flags used in an optimized and debuggable build, respectively.
TCL_LDFLAGS_DEBUG='@LDFLAGS_DEBUG@'
TCL_LDFLAGS_OPTIMIZE='@LDFLAGS_OPTIMIZE@'

# Flag, 1: we built a shared lib, 0 we didn't
TCL_SHARED_BUILD=1

# The name of the Tcl library (may be either a .a file or a shared library):
TCL_LIB_FILE='libtcl8.3${TCL_DBGX}.so'

This could be a start.

Laurent Duperval <mailto:laurent.duperval@masq.ca>

Il ne me reste plus qu'à trouver à quoi ça pourrait bien servir!
                                          -Léonard le génie