RE: More revisions to exploring_worth

On Tue, 2002-07-23 at 11:11, Hans Ronne wrote:
> The multiplicative approach works fine as long as we have a way of
> assigning distinct values, such as speed, to individual units. I think the
> latest version of Lincoln's exploration formula illustrates this. A problem
> does arise when we want to compute attack and defense weights in combat
> model 0 (the standard xconq combat model). The reason for this is that
> there are no absolute attack or defend values similar to speed. All we have
> is the hit-chance table, which gives relative strenghts of different units
> against each other. The AI code tries to handle this by summing up and
> averaging the hit chances against all units in the game, but I think there
> is room for a lot of improvements here.

What if the offensive_worth and defensive_worth functions could be
re-written so that they could indicate that unit x is a good attacker or
defender, but only against unit y, or against everything except unit z?
This would undoubtedly help the AI play games such as future.g where all
units have at least one unit they can easily kill and another unit that
can easily kill them (hovercar < saucer < defender < hovercar, for
example).

> With combat model 1 it is much easier. You just use the unit's unique
> attack and defend values. Check out offensive_worth and defensive_worth in
> ai.c to see what I mean.

Very true, but you lose the ability to do "paper-scissors-rock" things
like the one I just described from future.g.  I think that time.g also
does something like this with infantry, cavalry, and cannons, at least
in the Napoleonic sub-period.