Re: New testing game

>I tried building 20 refineries one time (which should have increased
>fuel production in a size 4 city from 4 to 4,194,304 [4*2^20]), and
>found that fuel production dropped to zero.  Looks to me like it is
>indeed an overflow (I hadn't previously thought to do the math and see
>what it should have been producing).  Perhaps the variables need more
>bits to work with

Production is a short int, so I put a cap on it in the last checkin.

>That seems to work in the test game, although I imagine that disabling
>the supply code in Space Civilization would cripple it.

Depends on how you want the game to work. If you want ships to refuel at a
distance (while in space), keep the supply code. If you want them to refuel
only when in port, disable it.

>One thing I am seeing in Space Civilization is that an advanced unit
>that can share something with nearby units oftentimes will not share as
>much as it should.  This is most apparent with shipyards, because they
>depend on an outside supply of ores and solar to be built, and the
>nearest civilization will not supply as much as it could, even if it's
>over it's own capacity!

Yes. This is the problem in the supply code that I have been talking about.
It never worked that well. I can only suggest that you experiment with the
tables. But this code certainly needs an overhaul.

Hans

Hans Ronne

hronne@pp.sbbs.se