Countries

1) I see the 'country-color' statement, and it's possible to list colors
that go with it,
but I can't find any documentation that says where these colors actually
show up.

2) I see that it's possible to mark what areas different countries control,
but
how is that used in the game.

3) I would like to have regions within each country.  I'm trying the ACW, so
I'd
    like to have the following sides: Federal, Rebel, Tennessee (started
neutral),
    Missouri (started neutral), and Europeans (started & stayed neutral).
I'd
    then like to have each state marked off, so that one gets a state to
join
    your side (or go neutral, if it was hostile), once you've conquered all
the cities in it.

Is a 'country' the same as a 'side' in the game?  The rules use both terms,
but I can't
find a definition for either, really, that shows the difference.

Erik