Re: Compiling win32 under Cygwin

I promised a list of changes I had to make to do a Cygwin build, and
this is that list.  I compiled with the xconq CVS sources co'ed 11/3/02
@ ~1pm, using a fresh Cygwin build with no mods (if you're installing
for purposes of compiling xconq, make sure you get the tcl/tk and X
installs, too... I attached the list of packages installed, just for
goo measure)  Here's what needed to change:

* I needed to remove the reference to wconq.o in the win/ Makefile.
>From the discussion list it looks like that was removed, but it wasn't
taken out of the makes.

* I added 'tkwin32.o' to the list of OBJs in the tcltk/ Makefile.
Probably not such a good idea for the long haul (from reading the list,
this is supposed to be a generic area for tcl/tk materials, no?).  In
anycase, added it so I could compile.

* Speaking of the tkwin32 code :), it looks like the version in CVS has
funky linefeed/linereturn control character combinations.  I managed to
change it to the standard unix encoding (using UltraEdit - converted
from MAC to DOS, then DOS to UNIX - see the 'File/Conversions' menu).
I was getting the error message, "tkwin32.c:1: `#include' expects
"FILENAME" or <FILENAME>".  No kidding, gcc, thanks so much for the
non-help :)

* ALSO speaking of the tkwin32 code, I commented out XSetTile, XFlush
and XSynchronize functions.  Again, according to the mail list, they're
not needed and were conflicting with their previous defs.

* I needed to use the following flag for TCLTK_LIB - note that this
refers to libtcl and libtk AND to libX11 - I don't know where that
reference came from, but it wouldn't link correctly when it wasn't
there:
  TCLTK_LIB = /usr/lib/libtcl80.a /usr/lib/libtk80.a
/usr/X11R6/lib/libX11.a -lm

* I needed to set LD_FLAGS to:  'LDFLAGS = -Wl,-u,_WinMain@16'
This is apparently because of an old Cygwin b20 bug - see this link in
the Cygwin FAQ:  http://cygwin.com/faq/faq_4.html#SEC92

* I needed to comment out the 'chgrp' and 'chown' commands in the
makefiles.  The default owner/group combination hardcoded in the makes
is 'games/bin', which doesn't exist in Cygwin (as far as I know)
Removing these lines just installed as my own user/grp combination,
which is fine with me.  I thought this was something we could set in
the ./configure, no?  Anyone know how to do this (being a newbie to
that system et al)

The End :)

As I mentioned before, even after I compiled I couldn't get the
compiled image running - it simply exited, and I don't know why.
Neither have I had time to debug it - once again, work projects getting
in the way (bad work, no biscuit)

-joe